Welcome to The Elmbridge Hundred
The Elmbridge Hundred is a fascinating history of people and place...
The modern borough of Elmbridge in Surrey corresponds almost exactly to the old Saxon hundred of Amelebrige. This is a place with a long and illustrious past, an historic landscape of royal palaces, stately homes and gardens, thriving towns and vibrant villages full of social and cultural diversity, which has attracted an extraordinary array of historic figures.
The Elmbridge Hundred is a remarkable roll-call of life stories...
This website records the famous (and infamous!) folk who lived, loved, and worked here, or made momentous visits. It reveals the industrious, enterprising, scientific, artistic, musical, poetic, political, religious, and romantic, often scandalous, occasionally scurrilous, always intriguing, and sometimes world-changing life stories and events that took place here. Travel back and forth in time, place, or genre, to meet all the local luminaries from Julius Caesar to John Lennon who have links with Elmbridge.
To navigate this website use the menu at the top or the links below...
- Search Biographies - Find over seven hundred historic figures by name, place, or occupation
- Meet The Elmbridge Hundred - The hundred figures judged most significant or famous
- Read About the project - How, why, when, and where it began, and who's involved
- Uncover The History of Elmbridge - How it was shaped into today's modern borough
- Follow News and Events - Press notices, public talks, arts and heritage activities